If you are a new customer please call us at (530)677-9364 OR email us at info@i-lien.com for your log in information. 



Additional Mechanic Information

 A lien becomes effective at the time of possession or when the vehicle is towed. You cannot file a lien nor charge lien fees until the vehicle has been in your possession for 72 hours. You can file your lien and charge lien fees anytime after that.

When does I-Lien want me to file my lien?

From the time of possession, you must start the process within 15 days for storage fees to continue past the first 15 days, if you are late, storage can begin again after you start the lien process. To be on track, we would like to see the order on or before the 10th day.

How do you know what type of lien you need to file? (under $4000, over $4000 etc.)

No persons at I-Lien Lien Service can determine the value of a vehicle for you. We can advise you on how the value of your vehicle relates to the type of lien you should file. After submitting your order, we can help determine that with you.

What we will need from you?

  1. We will need some basic information about you, your company.
  2. Value of the vehicle/vessel - For any Under $4000 Lien we will need a Form 180 or photos to document the value of the vehicle/vessel.
  3. If towed into you we will need the name and address of the driver, your tow tag/receipt for a private towaway.
  4. Date of tow or possession.
  5. Name and address of the agency or property owner/agent authorizing the removal (Over 4000 liens only).
  6. Your posted storage rate.
  7. The year, make, model, license number, and vehicle ID (vin) and engine number if a motorcycle. For vessels, the -OF- number or the hull number, builder, type, and length. If the vessel has a trailer we will also need the same information as for a vehicle.
  8. Possession of the Vehicle/Vessel. Loss of possession immediately stops your lien. Moving the vehicle also stops your lien.

How long does it take to complete a lien sale?

Under $500 (disposal lien) about 15 days. Vehicles under $4000 approximately 35 days. Vehicles over $4000 and Vessel, usually 90 to 120 days.

How much storage should you charge?

Storage rates are not regulated by the State of California. If you are a business who makes it a practice to regularly store vehicles, your daily storage rate should be clearly posted within your customer's view. A lien sale will typically provide you with no more than 15 days of storage at your posted rate. However, if the vehicle has out of state plates, if the vehicle ID (VIN) has been altered or removed, if a person of interest arrives after the lien sale has been started, or if the lien sale has been opposed and we have received a Letter of Continuation from the California Department of Motor Vehicles, or if the vehicle's value be determined to be more than $4000 you may be eligible for up to 120 days of storage at your posted rate.

Who determines the value of the vehicle?

The public agency causing the removal of the vehicle shall determine the estimated value of the vehicle. If the public agency fails to or refuses to provide an estimated value within three days after the date of removal, then you must determine the value as is.

What if there is a legal owner of the vehicle?

The legal owner must be notified within 15 days for storage charges to continue. If they are not notified before the 15 days, the legal owner can only be charged for the first 15 days and then commencing again three days after written notice has been sent to them.

Can someone stop the lien sale?

YES. Any person known to have an interest in the vehicle may stop your lien by filing a Declaration of Opposition with the California Department of Motor Vehicles within the time frame allowed by law (Typically within 10 days of mailing the Notice of Pending Lien Sale.) A Declaration of Opposition is (and must) be included with the Notice of Pending Lien Sale we mail to all Registered Owners, Legal Owners and Interested Parties.

What if someone stops (opposes) your lien sale?

If you are notified by the California Department of Motor Vehicles or by a representative of I-Lien Lien Service that a valid Declaration of Opposition has been received, you have the following options:

  • Obtain a release of interest from the opposer.
  • File a court action against the opposer within 30 days, and receive a judgment in your favor.
  • Determine that the opposer cannot be served at the address indicated on the Declaration of Opposition (You will need documentation from a process server or Marshall to proceed).

Regardless of which of the three options you pursue, a DMV authorization to continue will be required before you can proceed with the lien sale. Therefore, we advise you to forward any and all documentation you receive regarding an opposed lien sale to our office. We will need to file your documents with the California Department of Motor Vehicles so that we may receive the appropriate continuation documents on your behalf.

What if your customer pays part of their bill?

Accepting any amount of money from your customer will invalidate your lien! Once you accept any money from your customer, the lien sale is canceled.

What do you do with the personal property in the vehicle?

No lien shall attach to any personal property in the vehicle. The personal property in or on the vehicle shall be given to the current registered owner upon demand (personal property does not include wheels, radios, speakers or anything attached to the vehicle). The lienholder shall not be responsible for personal property after the lien sale date.

What happens after the lien sale?

Sign and date all lien sale documents and deliver them to the purchaser at the time of sale. The purchaser is granted FIVE days to submit a completed and signed set of lien sale documents to any authorized California Department of Motor Vehicles field office.

What if you sell the vehicle for more than you are owed?

If you sell the vehicle for more than you are owed, you must remit any excess monies received to the Department of Motor Vehicles, Lien Sale Section, 2415 1st Ave., Sacramento, CA 95818 for deposit into the Motor Vehicle Account, State Transportation Fund. Remit with a completed copy of the Certificate of Lien Sale.

Do you have to register the vehicle after the sale?

NO, the lien sale documents do not expire, however, DMV fees will continue to accrue. If the vehicle registration expired while in your possession and you are a dealer, lessor retailer, garage, or operator of a towing service and you sell the vehicle, the buyer has 20 days from the lien sale date to pay fees without penalty, or pay a transfer fee and a planned non-operation fee. Otherwise, a planned non-op must be filed prior to the vehicle expiration date or penalty fees are due. If the vehicle came into your possession,  the buyer can usually pay the fees without paying a penalty if registered within the allotted time.

What I-Lien will do for you...

 We will supply all documents and DMV fees necessary to apply for the Authorization to Conduct a Lien Sale. We will notify all registered and legal owner(s) and known parties of interest of the pending lien sale. We will run the required newspaper advertisement (cost of the ad is additional), and we will notify you of the sale date and provide all final lien sale documentation for transfer of title, or salvage, approximately 12 days prior to the sale day.